Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Lessons in Cost versus Value


Have you ever learned the following lesson: sometimes the higher priced option and choice actually saves money?

 Please bare with me as I share a story about trying to save money. Most people who walk into our showroom ask about cost during the first visit. In that question is hidden a common mistake all of us tend to make, confusing cost versus value.

I covered the various options homeowners have in many blog posts in December and January. I suggest you check them out. Are you in Sales or own a small business committed to excellence?
If so, how often do you attempt to share "value" with potential clients who basically focus only on cost as their deciding factor? Frustrating, isn't it?

Let me diverge here for a moment.  Stick with me, there is a point to my rabbit trails. In 2013, I began to become aware that some extensive and expensive dental crowns I had done years ago, out of State might fail. After all they were nearly fifteen years old.

A trusted friend referred me to her dentist who had an excellent reputation. She raved about his talent, expertise, and superb skills.  Frankly, I chose to ignore her referral because I assumed he would be very high priced. Instead, I went to a  well known franchise dental center. I was thrilled when the price per filling was $120 less than a third dentist I went to for a while.  However, they popped out repeatedly and had to be redone.

I liked the staff and developed a good relationship with them and the manager of this name brand franchise dental center.Eventually, one of my older crowns broke off! To make it worse, it was one of my front teeth. Ugh!

I consider that an emergency. I did not know who to go to. I decided to trust the franchised Dental office with a root canal, post and new crown for $2500. Within days I was in excruciating pain from a fractured root caused due to a short temporary post being placed to support the new crown.
What does this story have to do with Kitchen and Bath remodeling? Please hold on, there is a connection.

What to do now? Probably the same thing homeowners do when the contractor they hired takes their deposit money and never shows up again or creates a nightmare in the remodeling process that must be corrected by someone else.  

In my dental fiasco, the latter has been my only solution. Three years later, I finally went to see the dentist my friend recommended in 2013. Yes, originally his expertise would have cost more than the dental center I went to. However, now I am out the money I spent at the less experienced and less professional dental center plus the money to correct the problem. The errors made created a need for expensive restoration of my mouth. If I had considered value over cost I would have paid more initially. However, the work would have been done excellently and all this angst, stress, and extra expense would have been avoided.

Here at Apple Wood we will not be the cheapest professional you may consider. We are competitive. We take great pride in our skill, professionalism, reputation and client satisfaction. We do everything the right way all the time. City inspectors and permit departments always have positive remarks to make concerning our excellence. Our clients love how we respect them, their time, homes, family, pets, and concerns. Most of our business is referral business. Most of our clients return for multiple projects.

Unfortunately, some of our customers have stories like my dental journey. Trying to save a few dollars ended up costing them considerably on every level. Please look at value for the dollar invested. Remodeling your home is an investment, after all. Come see us. We will do it the right way the first time. You will love the results!  

No comments:

Post a Comment